The seemingly innocent festive set-up had turned into a high voltage "death trap".
A newly purchased set of Christmas lights have nearly killed a man after he was shocked by the “potentially deadly” wires.
The dodgy lights were purchased online and had exposed 240-volt wires which shocked the man at his Cooray home on the Sunshine Coast.
Energy provider, Energex, said the exposed wires - which were some of the most dangerous they had ever seen - could have killed the man or started a house fire.
The company has warned families against buying Christmas lights that aren't compliant with Australian Safety Standards because they can become a festive death-trap.
Energex warn about the dangerous lights. Source: Facebook.
Check all of your lights
Safety team member Chris Rose told the Sunshine Coast Daily the lights arrived at the home already faulty.
"This time of year there will be plenty of people looking online for powered Christmas decorations, but please remember the serious safety risks faulty or low-quality lights can pose," Mr Rose said.
By acknowledging small improvements in behaviour you make it easier for big improvements to follow.
"If these dodgy Christmas lights had gone unnoticed the outcome could have been completely different by potentially taking someone's life through electrocution or by starting a house fire.
"This is why we always urge people, for their safety and that of their loved ones, to only purchase electrical Christmas decorations from reputable retailers and ensure they comply with Australian Safety Standards."
He said every family should be checking their Christmas lights for exposed wires or broken bulbs before installation, especially if they’ve been stored all year as they can easily be damaged or chewed on by pests.